Wednesday, November 15, 2006

You and me at war, at arms, all falling in embrace...

Before I start writing, a musical/visual interlude from the boy who cannot be mine but for whom I will wait forever, Colin Meloy:



It threatened to rain today. The sun rose bright and full this morning, and I shed my coat and shed my skin. Sunny days do little to improve my mood...no, give me a dirty, gray mess of a day and I'll revel in it. Those are the best days for walks in the fall - the sunny days blind us to the changing colors of leaves, the tumbling journey they take to the ground. When the day is overcast and dreary, you can see the colors of the leaves against the sky: the yellow, fan-shaped beauties like a golden carpet behind Thompson/Lane, the flame-red bushes burning brightly along the path from Perkins to Memorial. And the squirrels are out and about, busying themselves for a cold, snow-covered, slushy winter. They know what I know - it's perfect to be out on a day full of clouds and wind. So I take the long way to work, stepping slowly and lightly to make the day last. Because we all know, the good things never last long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home